Skip to main content

Farewell, DMA

I have always wanted to make films. There was never a question. So it was a surprise to me when I was walking the halls as a freshman and I saw a bunch of upperclassmen with DSLRs in their hands. I was jealous but also determined to found out how I could spend my time making videos instead of geometry. That is when I finally put it together that DMA stood for Digital Media Arts. 

Before taking this class I would never have thought of myself as an artist. Especially not after my clay frog exploded in the kiln in the 6th grade. It wasn't until I found myself seated in Mrs. Barnes' 5th bell Intro to DMA class that I began to spark towards creativity in the digital realm. It was where I learned how to use Photoshop. My favorite project that I made was a La La Land poster. It wasn't until I was showing a friend that I had realized that I had misspelled the word film on the final design. Flim. I do not know how it was possible for me to misspell a four-letter word, but I did.

Junior year there was no question that I would stick with DMA. I anticipated getting to work on my Scream shot-for-shot project or having some sarcastic banter with Megan Yoder. I also got the chance to compete at the state level for BPA which was an experience I never thought I would have.

This past year went by so fast that I have such mixed emotions. While I'm excited to graduate, there is still a part of me that is wishing I could have more time to make more weird black and white images of Anna-Claire and Tim beating each other up. There was never a day that went by in this class that I looked at the clock and hoped time would pass by quicker. 

After a very dramatic and prolonged college search, I have decided to attend Ohio University and pursue filmmaking through the Honors Tutorial College. (Thank you, Mrs. Shields, for answering every single question about OU that I had. There were *many*.) I'm still not sure where I will end up within the film industry, but I know that I will keep the creative spark that DMA has instilled in me, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Thank you,
Kevin Lewis

Finally to shout-out out all of my things:

You can find most of the films and artwork I have made throughout high school at kevinlewisfilms.com

and all of my "great" film reviews as well as what I am watching on letterboxd.com/klewis!

I also might post on my Instagram @kvnlws, but that is still a maybe.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Blog Post

This is my last blog post for my senior year, so I'd like to say that I am so glad I took DMA classes throughout high school. I've learned so much and I wouldn't be where I am today without my experiences in the classes. I will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design this coming fall and I couldn't be more excited. I'm thinking about majoring and working in the film industry, however, I will be pursuing all and any forms of art in the future as well. From a fellow artist: take the opportunities that you are given and work hard doing what you love. The Artist Ceremony digital painting from AP DMA See my other work on my website:  https://avidipasquale16.wixsite.com/myportfolio/

Eyes are the Window to the Soul

This self-taught photographer takes pictures of the reflection in peoples eyes.  And no this is not Photoshopped.   https://www.demilked.com/eye-reflection-wedding-photography-eyescapes-peter-adams-shawn/

The Art Of Trevor Henderson

Hello everyone! today I'm going to talk about one of my favorite Instagram artists, Trevor Henderson! The reason why I like Trevor Henderson's art is that I really like how disturbing and creepy is art is. Here are a few examples of some of his art.