Skip to main content

The Emoji Movie Was An Actual Banger (An Indepth Review of a Cult Classic)

The Emoji Movie is on the surface a very simple cash grab of a movie but looking further you can begin to discover how truly revolutionary it was. Released in July 2017, famous stars such as James Corden (Played Hi-5 (✋)), Anna Faris (Played Jailbreak), and an absolutely fantastic performance by Patrick Stewart as 💩. In the film Gene, our protagonist is supposed to be a meh emoji (😐) inside of his user Alex's phone but we soon learn he has more than one emotion! This is brilliant storytelling, Gene's parents are ashamed of their son because he has different emotions instead of just the one he is supposed to have, and after he embarrasses himself and makes the wrong face his family banishes him all together 😱!!! This causes Gene to be chased by the police of Emoji Land, after this he joins the losers club where all the emojis that never get used hang out. Here he meets Hi-5, who he befriends, and also the character named "Jailbreak". Together they set out on a quest to defeat the people trying to capture Gene. This allows for an incredible Candy Crush segment where Hi-5 eats some of the candy pieces from the game, regurgitates them, and proceeds to eat them again much to the disgust of Gene and "Jailbreak". The film's tone is clearly set for a child audience, this can be determined through the use of potty humor and loud equals funny formula, but the film's style is really where it shines. The Emoji Movie is able to brilliantly represent the true inner beauty of emoticons through the movie's art style. Scott Dace, senior animator on The Emoji Movie hooked me in with his crisp and clear animation style, which is probably my favorite animation styling. Not much else can really be said about The Emoji Movie, except for its ending. At the end of the film, we discover that "Jailbreak" is a princess or something and she falls in love with Gene I think. The bad guys are defeated and Gene finally truly embraces his quirky characteristics and everyone respects him. So overall 10/10 film. What did you all think of the movie? What artistic choices would you have changed for the movie? Put those down in the comments! 

Comments

  1. I respect your opinion about the movie but I personally did not like the movie because I felt like there was no need for this movie to be released to the public. If I had to change one thing about the movie it would be that the poop emoji actually act like poop(that's a nice way to put it.) But, don't let this comment stop you for making such persuasive writings about the things you love. Great Job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you invested the time to incorporate the emojis into your post, super cool! 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that movie and the way you described it was very detailed and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this movie it had so many cool animations. Also I love using emojis on a daily so i thought it was really cool that they made the emojis come to life.😄😎💩👽

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Blog Post

This is my last blog post for my senior year, so I'd like to say that I am so glad I took DMA classes throughout high school. I've learned so much and I wouldn't be where I am today without my experiences in the classes. I will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design this coming fall and I couldn't be more excited. I'm thinking about majoring and working in the film industry, however, I will be pursuing all and any forms of art in the future as well. From a fellow artist: take the opportunities that you are given and work hard doing what you love. The Artist Ceremony digital painting from AP DMA See my other work on my website:  https://avidipasquale16.wixsite.com/myportfolio/

Eyes are the Window to the Soul

This self-taught photographer takes pictures of the reflection in peoples eyes.  And no this is not Photoshopped.   https://www.demilked.com/eye-reflection-wedding-photography-eyescapes-peter-adams-shawn/

The Art Of Trevor Henderson

Hello everyone! today I'm going to talk about one of my favorite Instagram artists, Trevor Henderson! The reason why I like Trevor Henderson's art is that I really like how disturbing and creepy is art is. Here are a few examples of some of his art.