Skip to main content

Short Film Inspiration: Stranger Things

Over the past few weeks, I've been busy working on a short film called Violet with Lo Riddell and Bella Spleen. "Violet, set in 1989, follows the story of a group of popular friends who come across a girl named Violet- who happens to have a lot more going on than meets the eye," (writer- Lo Riddell). A lot of our story and mood for the film is inspired by Stranger Things, which I've been watching a lot of, for research.
Recently, I've been really intrigued by the art of transitions. And I don't just mean a transition effect placed on a clip in Premiere. No, no. I mean the art of well planned and thought out transitions. As I've been rewatching Stranger Things, I've noticed how well they use transitions between scenes. Almost every time, there is some kind of motion, camera angle, noise, feeling/tone, or character that is repeated or used. To go with the on-edge mood of Stranger Things, they usually repeat loud sounds matched with a close up shot (which first caught my attention). For example: they might have a really tense scene transitioned with the loud ringing of a telephone. They also might carry or contrast a certain mood over 3 or 4 scene transitions. These kind of transitions might not be something a viewer really notices at first, but if you pay attention, it's truly art. They really help to enhance the show by making the viewer more uncomfortable, but therefore more connected with the story. So, as I story-boarded Violet, I made sure to include interesting transitions that will help our audience connect more with our story. 
 


Comments

  1. Wow this is awesome I am really looking forward to it I'll paid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super excited to be helping you guys with this film! I can't wait to see the final product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, really enjoy watching this show and appreciate the time dedicated to make it so fascinating. I have also noticed that the show Riverdale has the same sort of effect in which they attempt to carry moods over a number of scenes. I think it really helps develop the story and makes it more interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing your film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to the final product! Transitions are so vital in creating a well-paced film. They are often over-looked by people and I think making an effort to study transition techniques will really help the film on a technical aspect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Blog Post

This is my last blog post for my senior year, so I'd like to say that I am so glad I took DMA classes throughout high school. I've learned so much and I wouldn't be where I am today without my experiences in the classes. I will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design this coming fall and I couldn't be more excited. I'm thinking about majoring and working in the film industry, however, I will be pursuing all and any forms of art in the future as well. From a fellow artist: take the opportunities that you are given and work hard doing what you love. The Artist Ceremony digital painting from AP DMA See my other work on my website:  https://avidipasquale16.wixsite.com/myportfolio/

Eyes are the Window to the Soul

This self-taught photographer takes pictures of the reflection in peoples eyes.  And no this is not Photoshopped.   https://www.demilked.com/eye-reflection-wedding-photography-eyescapes-peter-adams-shawn/

The Art Of Trevor Henderson

Hello everyone! today I'm going to talk about one of my favorite Instagram artists, Trevor Henderson! The reason why I like Trevor Henderson's art is that I really like how disturbing and creepy is art is. Here are a few examples of some of his art.