Skip to main content

Kings is in the Top 50 in the Vans Custom Culture Competition! PLEASE VOTE!


We have really exciting news!  Kings High School is in the Top 50 for the Vans Custom Culture Competition!
Here is what happened.  Vans issued a call to enter their Custom Culture Competition.  The first 1000 art teachers to sign up would be sent 4 pairs of blank white Vans shoes in 4 styles to customize.  We entered and shoes were sent to us in March.  Four juniors in Digital Media Arts I class, Zoe Rodriguez, Kelly Madison, Kevin Butler, and Nadia Smith, all started working in Illustrator and Photoshop on potential designs in one of the 4 categories, Art, Music, Action Sports, and Local Flavor.  Then they transferred these designs onto the shoes and began painting.
Once they completed the shoes, they photographed their shoes and used Photoshop to create their final images and uploaded them to be judged.  Then VANS had their judges narrow down the submissions from the original 1000 to the top 50, 10 from each of 5 regions.  WE FOUND OUT TODAY THAT KINGS IS IN THE TOP 50!  Now the voting begins.
Kings has to beat the 9 other schools in the NORTHEAST region to be in the TOP 5 schools that will travel to LA for the exclusive final event at the Long Beach Museum of Art in May. The grand prize winner will receive $50,000 and each runner up will receive $4,000 for their school's art program. National shoe retailer Journeys has teamed up with Custom Culture this year to choose their favorite Local Flavor themed pair of shoes and award a separate $5,000 prize to that school along with $1,000 to each of the four runners up.
Here is where you come in.  We are only allowed to cast one vote per IP address.  That means only one vote for our entire school district, since we only have 1 IP address for the whole district with SWOCA.  So we need you to vote from home and on any Smartphone using a 3G or 4G data package.  And if you are anywhere with free wifi, it also should have its own IP address., so vote at Starbuck, Panera, etc…  And then help us blow this up on Facebook, Twitter, and email the link out to your whole address book.  Here it is!


The shoes will also be in the display cases in the main hallway at KHS for you check out!  Thanks so much for all your help and support!




Comments

  1. Mrs.Sheilds....got the new iPhone and voted for it and told all of my friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lokk at those guns on Kevin ;O (and also I voted)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you guys join this year? If yes, good luck! Being from Rhode Island, of course we're rooting for an RI high school to win. But I'm sure a lot of great high school programs joined so may the best school wins!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Blog Post

This is my last blog post for my senior year, so I'd like to say that I am so glad I took DMA classes throughout high school. I've learned so much and I wouldn't be where I am today without my experiences in the classes. I will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design this coming fall and I couldn't be more excited. I'm thinking about majoring and working in the film industry, however, I will be pursuing all and any forms of art in the future as well. From a fellow artist: take the opportunities that you are given and work hard doing what you love. The Artist Ceremony digital painting from AP DMA See my other work on my website:  https://avidipasquale16.wixsite.com/myportfolio/

Eyes are the Window to the Soul

This self-taught photographer takes pictures of the reflection in peoples eyes.  And no this is not Photoshopped.   https://www.demilked.com/eye-reflection-wedding-photography-eyescapes-peter-adams-shawn/

The Art Of Trevor Henderson

Hello everyone! today I'm going to talk about one of my favorite Instagram artists, Trevor Henderson! The reason why I like Trevor Henderson's art is that I really like how disturbing and creepy is art is. Here are a few examples of some of his art.